Como , located along the southern shore of the western branch of the homonymous lake , is known for numerous sites of artistic and cultural importance. One of these is the famous Basilica of Sant’Abbondio .
By staying at Il Campeggio ai Colli Fioriti it will be possible to visit Como in the day, since the city is less than an hour from the campsite . The panoramic road in fact allows you to skirt the entire western branch of the lake, until you reach the capital.
The Basilica of Sant’Abbondio , is a Romanesque church of the eleventh century whose history is much older.
History of the Basilica of Sant’Abbondio
The Basilica of Sant’Abbondio is located just outside the center of Como , along via Regina and beyond the Cosia river.
The history of this church seems to date back as far as 400 . Then, Amanzio, third bishop of Como and predecessor of Abbondio , current patron of the Diocese of Como , decided to build an early Christian church to house some relics of the apostles Peter and Paul that he had brought with him after a trip to Rome.
In the year 818, the basilica became a cathedral and was dedicated to Sant’Abbondio.
It was a bishopric until 1013. Subsequently, it was entrusted to the Benedictine monks who, between 1050 and 1095, rebuilt the church in Romanesque style . The church was consecrated by Pope Urban II on June 3, 1095.
Later, the entire building will pass to the Augustinian nuns , then it will become the seat of the Theological Seminary , while today it belongs to the parish of the Santissima Annunciata .
Over the centuries, numerous restoration works have taken place which have also brought to light the perimeter of the early Christian church, currently marked by bands of black marble present on the current floor.
The exterior of the church
The Romanesque façade is marked by pilasters resting on four columns. Of value are the bas -reliefs that adorn the entrance portal.
The Roman round arch rests on small columns that culminate in two semi-capitals sculpted in relief. Two angular eaglets with spread wings, a dove and a stone cat head are visible here.
The two twin bell towers are placed on the sides of the central apse. In 1784 one of the two bell towers collapsed, but was rebuilt trying to make it as similar as possible to the original version.
Along the southern side it is possible to see the succession of the three bands corresponding to the internal aisles, marked by single lancet windows and crowned at the top by a frame of small arches. The rings of the single-lancet windows are made with blocks of Moltrasina squared stone alternated with tuff, to obtain a suggestive two-tone effect .